Microsoft Solutions Framework (MSF) is a set of principles, models, disciplines, concepts, and guidelines for delivering information technology solutions from Microsoft. MSF is not limited to developing applications only, it is also applicable to other IT projects like deployment, networking or infrastructure projects. MSF does not force the developer to use a specific methodology (Waterfall, Agile) but lets them decide what methodology to use.
The Microsoft Solutions Framework (MSF) is an adaptable approach for successfully delivering technology solutions faster, with fewer people and less risk, while enabling higher quality results. MSF helps teams directly address the most common causes of technology project failure — improving success rates, solution quality, and business impact.
MSF focuses on:
- Aligning business and technology goals
- Establishing clear project goals, roles, and responsibilities
- Implementing an iterative, milestone/checkpoint-driven process
- Managing risk proactively
- Responding to change effectively
The Governance Track focuses on balancing efficient and effective use of project resources and delivery of a solution with adherence to a set of potentially changing project constraints. In addition, the Governance Track espouses continuous process improvement.
- Develop a clear understanding of what is needed within context of project constraints.
- Assemble the necessary team to envisage solutions with options and approaches that best meet those needs while optimally satisfying those constraints.
- Evolve the conceptual solution into tangible designs and plans so it can be built in a Build Track.
- Build the various aspects of a solution in accordance with Plan Track deliverables, such as designs, plans, schedules, and requirements.
- Improve solution quality to meet release criteria for deployment to production.
- Validate that solution meets stakeholder needs and expectations.
- Validate solution usability from a user perspective.
- Maximize success and minimize risks associated with solution deployment and operations in the solution's target environments.
- Integrate a solution successfully into production within designated environments.
- Transfer responsibility for the remaining solution delivery from a project team to operations and support teams as smoothly and soon as possible.